The Old Buring Ground
The Old Buring Ground grew up around the building used for sessions of the Court and for reading the service of the Anglican Church in St. John's Parish.
The cemetery was deeded to the town of Beaufort in 1731 by Nathaniel Taylor, following the first survey of the town.
The Northwest corner is the oldest part of the cemetery and, although the corner appears empty, a 1992 archeological survey confirmed that there are many graves in that area.
It is probable that some of the unmarked graves contain victims of the Indian wars whose skulls were cleft with tomahawks of hostile Coree and Neusiok indianas.
It was recorded that in September, 1711, the area had "been depopulated by the late Indiana War and Massacre."
The earliest graves were marked with shell, brick, or wooden slabs, because stone markers had to be brought from afar by wooden sailing vessels.
Characteristic of this period are vaulted graves bricked over in an attempt to protect them from high water and wild animals.
Most of the graves are facing east. The reason is simple, those burried had wanted to be facing the sun when they arose on "Judgement Morn".
The Old Burying Ground is owned by the Town of Beaufort and is mantained and managed by the Beaufort Historical Association.